Monday, September 12, 2011

Wife: Feeling Better!

Well, I know it has been a few days since we last blogged, and I apologize for that.  It is my fault.  Chris has been doing a great job keeping up with the blog while I have been lying around.  I meant to blog last week, but apparently last week, the placenta was finishing up and I had a final wave of nausea and terribleness.  But I have wonderful news.  I think I have written my last blog post about feeling like crap!

Everyone keeps talking about how magical I would feel once the second trimester hit.  And while I still have two more weeks until my second trimester, I am definitely feeling better this week.  Some women describe the second trimester as a “superwoman” type feeling.  I don’t quite feel like Superwoman yet but, I am definitely closer.

Not quite ready to leap tall buildings, but I am able to stay awake past the neighborhood kids!
For example, I have been able to stay up until 9:30 and 10:00 at night.  After going to bed by 8:30 for the last 8 weeks, this is pretty exciting stuff.   Also, my energy level has picked up.  I finally had enough energy today to go work out after work.  It felt amazing.  I have really missed sweating and be-bopping to my iPod.  And tomorrow, I start an expectant moms class called Aquamoms!  Its water aerobics for pregnant ladies!  It’s on Tuesday nights at my gym.  I am excited not only to work out but also to meet other moms-to-be.   I have my maternity swimsuit (which I will grow into) and my aqua shoes.  So I am all set. 

Instead of old ladies, picture pregnant ladies.  The coordination level is really about the same.
I am also starting to show a little.  I have this little bump.  I can see it in some of my clothes and not others.  I have had to switch to maternity jeans.  They are super comfortable.  I was wearing my pants unbuttoned with a Be Band (a special band that hides that fact that your pants are unbuttoned), but once my little belly kind of popped out, the maternity jeans were all that felt good.  My mom took me shopping for a few items to help get me through September.  Since I will mostly be big during the fall and winter, we didn’t want to spend a ton of money of summer stuff.  But we found a few things on clearance at Target and I have enough outfits, about six, to wear between now and when it gets cool. 

At my last doctor’s appointment, my doctor gave me a list of things that I could do.  First, she told me I could drink Diet coke in moderation, which she suggested was 1-2 cans a day.  That sounded like the opposite of moderation to me, so I usually drink one about every other day.  But it’s funny, Diet Coke in a can used to be my favorite way to drink it.  Now, my favorite way is to pour it from the can into a cup.  Drinking it from a can tastes funny.  Also, pouring it from a two liter tastes funny.  And fountain Diet Coke just tastes alien.  But I have definitely enjoyed it.  I am also allowed to have sparkling water.  I mostly try not to drink too much carbonation, but the option is nice to have.

The only other pesky pregnancy symptom that lasts throughout but that I have managed to keep at bay is….constipation.  I know it’s an awkward thing to discuss, but in case there is anyone who might be pregnant or thinking about it out there, I will let you know how I conquered this terribleness.  After a couple of miserable days, I had to stay home from work because it was so bad.  So Chris, my amazing husband, went to the grocery store and got Benefiber, Fiber One 80 Cereal, prune juice and apple juice.  When he finished checking out, the check-out lady said, “Good Luck.”  Thankfully, the Fiber One 80 cereal did the trick (with a little prune juice).  Since that terrible day, I have been eating two bowls of Fiber One 80 cereal every day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon and I have not had a problem since then!


Cannot recommend this stuff enough - it is delicious and helps keep that pesky problem away!
 My next appointment is this Thursday.  We should be able to hear the baby’s heartbeat on the Doppler.  And we will get all the results from my blood work.  But for now, the timer just went off and I am about to enjoy some yummy Tater-Tot Casserole!!!



1 comment:

  1. Glad you are feeling better! The water aerobics sounds hilarious you will definitely have to write about it and keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete