Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Husband: Sweep the Leg

After polling our friends, family members and the kids in our Sunday school class, people were overwhelmingly in agreement that Susan/Charlie would in fact come out a Charlie. With the exception of almost our entire Sunday school class (10-3 girl-to-guy ratio that day), most people voted Team Charlie.

Well the results are in. In a hard-fought battle between the X and Y chromosomes, X mounted a valiant comeback and knocked off Y with a beautifully executed crane kick. If you didn’t pay attention in high school biology and haven’t seen one of the greatest Ralph Macchio films of all-time, then ask a friend to explain the difference between XX and XY and then go watch Daniel-San stick it to Cobra Kai.  

Sweep the leg? Susan thinks not.

For those of you in the know (or too lazy to check Wikipedia), XX = BABY GIRL. So in the interest of full disclosure, I should say we’ve known we’re having a girl for over a week now. We cheated and went early to get an ultrasound because we couldn’t wait any longer.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned – and if I’ve learned only one thing at this point, I’m in trouble – it’s that when your pregnant wife says she wants something, you damn well better do it (with gusto). Refill that bowl of Fritos? Sure thing. Take a walk with you at 5 a.m.? Absolutely. Go 10 days early to get an ultrasound because you don’t want to wait all the way until October 25? Let’s go!

Like the paperclip, I am here to help. Whether you want me to or not.

So around two Thursdays ago, MJ found a place in Durham called Prenatal Peek that offers gender ultrasounds and she booked an appointment. We went last Monday, and I couldn’t be happier that we went. We got to see the baby for about 15 minutes while listening to some rockin’ tunes by Enya. About two minutes in, the lady working the wand showed us three seemingly random dots and said that those were “lady parts” and that we were having a little girl (her words, not mine). I don’t claim to be an expert on female anatomy, but I know that the technical term is not “lady parts.” I have read the word “uterus” enough over the past five months that I don’t giggle anymore. Secondly, I’m glad she pointed out the three dots for what they were because I would have thought they were Skittles.

Not quite how I remember it from health class.

So the Charlie/Susan question has finally been answered. Maybe we will have a Charlie one day, but I had a feeling all along this one was going to be Susan. We confirmed everything today at the “official” gender ultrasound. At this point, we’ve seen Susan three times, heard her heart beat five times and we still can’t get enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment