Monday, May 28, 2012

Mom: Back to Work and First Weekend Away

Life is pretty great.  In most respects, we are a pretty well-adjusted family.  Chris and I have settled into our routine.  Susan is pretty good with her routine and is pretty clear when she is ready to change it.

Two weeks ago, I went back to work.  It was really hard.  She is changing so much everyday, and I don't want to miss any of it!  She smiles all the time now.  This past week, she started cooing all the time and discovered her hands and fingers.  Every day she changes just a little, so I really hated feeling like I was missing any of it.  Chris watched her that first week I went back to work, and my mom is watching her for the rest of the month.  Then Chris will watch her for June and July.  But anyway, that first day was hard.  I had a little work waiting on me, but not nearly enough!  Thankfully Chris sent me pictures all day long and some video.  But it was not the same!  The second day, Chris had a meeting at Duke, so I was able to baby-sit her at work.  That was fun!  But it didn't really do a whole lot to cure my separation anxiety.

Separation anxiety: Like this, but the other way around.

Last week, I had a meeting with my boss.  I told him I needed way more cases.  I wanted to feel so busy that I was teetering on overwhelmed.  Because if I can stay busy at work, then the day goes by a lot faster.  Working out helps too.  I joined the Triangle YMCA where a lot of other people in my office are members, too.  It is great because I can work out at lunch.  The dress code at our office is "clothes."  I kid you not.  If you were to walk into our office, you would be surprised to hear we are all a bunch of lawyers.  Except for Hannah Hall, who on most days makes us all look bad (Quit wearing heels Hannah!).  Anyway, being able to work out at lunch is great.  Especially if I come back looking a little worse for the wear.  Before Susan, I was an early morning workout person.  My ideal workout time on the weekdays was 5:30 a.m.  I have never liked working out after work.  After work, I like going home to relax.  And with Susan, mornings and afternoons are sacred now.  I don't want to miss any time with her.  So lunch is great!  Plus, there are a lot of classes to take at the Y during that time period. 


So being back at work has been tough, but manageable.  I didn't even cry.  I actually think that it will be much harder when we have to take her to daycare in September.  Now, the lady who will be keeping her, Ms. Lynn, is a sweetheart.  We did all of our homework, we like her a lot and my mom met her and likes her too.  But she isn't family.  She probably won't be able to text me pictures throughout the day or send me bottle and poop updates. So I think that will be harder for me than going back to work.  But I will get through it and we will all adjust.  And then it will become our normal routine. 

This past weekend was also our first weekend away from Susan.  One of my best friends from college got married on Saturday and we were invited to all of the wedding events.  So we dropped Susan (and Oscar) off with my parents on Friday and picked her up on Sunday.  Now, we missed her a ton.  But thankfully, my parents were able to send us tons of pictures and we were able to FaceTime with her both nights.  And while we were busy, we were okay.  I think the worst part was when my friend's 8-month-old niece joined the festivities.  Her niece is adorable.  Seeing her made us really miss Susan to the point that on Saturday (day of the wedding), I tried to convince Chris that it would be okay to go home because we had already wished David and Beth our best and it would be cool to miss the wedding.  Now, I am glad we stuck it out.  We had a great time together, just the two of us, doing normal stuff.  And sleeping in. It was a great trip, but we are glad to be reunited as a family.

We had a GREAT time!

Now, I don't know how we got this lucky with our baby.  But I have accepted the fact that we probably have one of the best babies ever born, and I have stopped waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Last week, at just two months old, Susan decided she was ready to go to four bottles a day.  Her last bottle is now between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m.  She usually takes 9 oz. and has a nice big poop.  Then we give her a bath.  After that, it's story time and bedtime.  Last night, she went to sleep at 8:45 and slept til 6:30 this morning.  We had to give her a pacey a couple of times (at 4:30 and 5:30) but she went back to sleep.  She still takes her morning nap and then is pretty much awake from 10:30 to 4.  At 4, she usually takes a short nap, maybe 1.5 hours.  She is awesome and we love her so much.  I don't know if its our superior parenting (ha) or Susan's winning personality or probably a combination, but she is a true joy.  I fear our second child, though, because I have a feeling it's all going to come unraveled with baby #2. But I have decided to quit worrying about that and just enjoy Susan for the next 4 years.  I'll freak out about her brother or sister later.  No need to borrow trouble.

Happiest baby alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment