Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mom: Weight Loss and Hair Loss

There are a lot of special moments that happen during pregnancy and after pregnancy.  For example, feeling your baby kick and holding her when she is born are two pretty special memories.  There are also a lot of pretty terrible moments.  For example, knowing that with every Andy's Cheeseburger and order of fries with a side of cheese sauce and a Dr. Pepper you eat, you will have to work that much harder to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. 
I never did this, the Big A challenge.  But I thought about it.

So, as for my weight loss, I am pretty proud.  I am three months and one week postpartum and I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Or at least what I think my pre-pregnancy weight was (I am not really sure what it was because I absolutely hate getting on the scale).  But all of my clothes fit.  And some are even too big. As you may remember, when I had to weigh during pregnancy at my appointments, I would do it backwards.  I didn't want to know how much I was gaining.  Because I was pretty confident I was going to gain over the recommended 25-35 pounds, so why upset myself.  Its not like I could go on a diet.

Now, I cannot say I lost the weight all by myself.  And I think I gained somewhere between 43-47 pounds (But you will never get me to reveal my weight). The day after we came home from the hospital, I signed up for Weight Watchers Online.  I knew that I would need a program because I have never had to lose weight like this.  Now, I know they are not giving me millions of dollars to plug their program (I think Jessica Simpson gained all that weight on purpose), but I will say I plan on using it for the rest of my life. 
I wish they would  pay me. 

Weight Watchers is awesome!  It is not a diet AT ALL!  Seriously!  You can eat whatever you want so long as it is within your points.  There are assigned Daily points and assigned Weekly points.  For example, I get 29 daily points and 49 weekly points.  You are supposed to spread the Weekly points throughout the week, but I usually use a bunch on Saturdays and Sundays.  You also earn Activity Points.  I always try really really hard never to eat those points.  But I have had to a few times, like when we went to that wedding.  And I know I will have to next week when we are in Florida for vacation.  So yes, Weight Watchers is pretty much the best thing ever and is worth spending $18 dollars a month for the rest of my life.  If I have to, I'll give up other things before I give it up.
I am a believer.

Along with my weight loss, my hair loss has been going pretty well too.  How many of you knew that most woman experience hair loss after they give birth?  Well, it usually occurs about 3 or 5 months postpartum.  And when it happens, it gets really scary really fast.  I am so afraid I am going to have bald patches.  I am using special shampoo that I bought at Sally's and taking Biotin, a hair and nail growth supplement.  But apparently this will likely continue until September.  It can last longer for women who are breastfeeding, but I'm not, so hopefully it ends soon.  And while it really stinks to be losing my hair, it is totally worth it.  I'll trade long flowing locks any day for the chance to be Susan's mom.
Pretty soon, Susan and I will match.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job! I'm impressed! I'm six months postpartum and still 10 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight... Maybe I should look into Weight Watchers (or at least try a little...) The sweet tooth I gained during pregnancy has stuck around much to my waistline's chagrin.

    As for hair loss, I never noticed any... except when Jack pulls chunks out of my head. -_-;;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weight Watchers really is awesome. A you can do it if your breastfeeding. They just add in a few extra if you are breastfeeding.

      Delete