Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mom: The Royal Baby (Or that Monday and Tuesday when I didn't get any work done)

I remember when Princess Diana died.  We had just moved to North Carolina and my parents took us to Asheville to see the Biltmore.  We were eating breakfast in the Comfort Inn when the news broke.   I was sad for her sons, especially because Harry was my age (I am five days older).  But I also remember not really understanding why so many people (women), especially here in the United States were fans of Princess Diana.  Probably a lot of it had to do with my age, but I just didn't quite get it.

Well, fast forward a few years, and I get it.  I am definitely "in" to Kate Middleton and Prince William.  I mean a HUGE fan.  I followed all the stories in People when they were dating and was so excited for their engagement.  I recorded and watched both of the cheesy movies on their romance (IMO, the Lifetime movie with the girl who is now on Grey's is the better of the two).  I watched other Royal TV specials in preparation for the Royal Wedding.  And when the big day arrived, I put in my vacation day because I knew what I would be doing that day.  The plan was for my mom to spend the night at my house and we would watch together.  That fell through when a work thing kept her from watching.  So my AMAZING husband woke up with me at 3:30 a.m. to watch the Royal Wedding with me. 

So I was very excited when they announced their pregnancy.  You can just tell by looking at them that they really are in love and care for each other.  I don't know why that is exciting or special; one would hope that most married people look at each other like that.  Maybe it's because when you look at Diana and Charles, they never looked like that together. Of course, I was a little jealous of how Kate looked during her pregnancy, and especially how she looked at the steps on the Lindo Wing last week (NOT SWOLLEN AT ALL).  Although I did not envy that terrible morning sickness she went through.  So when the world was on Baby Watch, especially these last few weeks, I was too.

Then last Monday at 2 am, my phone beeped with a Breaking News Alert from both USA Today and People that Kate was in labor and had checked in.  Now, just so you know, I didn't get up and turn on the TV then.  I rolled over and went back to sleep.  But that day at work, I couldn't get anything done.  In hindsight, I should have taken Monday and Tuesday off.  I kept checking the Live Feed outside the Lindo Wing and watching the Live Blog from all the various British Newspapers.  Thankfully, I was watching on NBC when Brian Williams came on with a Special Report!

Now, I was pretty sure the baby was going to be a girl.  Maybe it was because of the change in the succession laws that convinced me that Princess Cambridge was coming.  Oh well.  I was still excited for them.  And then I watched on Tuesday (during my lunch break) when they introduced him to the world.  I am not going to lie, I teared up a little.  I remember that feeling with Susan.  Chris and I looking at each other like "Wow, it is going to be SO different now."  So I was excited and nostalgic.  I even went home and started talking about when we were going to have Baby 2 (not for a couple more years people).

I guess the reason I am writing this blog is to point out that one, Kate was correct when she said that all parents know what that feeling is like.  Your emotions are HIGH those first few days, especially for the new moms because hormones are coming down from an all time high level and you feel both euphoric and weirdly sad for no reason at all.  But there is also adrenaline that makes you feel like super-mom.  And there is just this magical feeling of "OMG we made that."  That feeling goes hand-in-hand with "OMG why are they letting us take it home - we are not qualified AT ALL."

And second, while it is exciting to watch them, one commentator said that all the "mommy bloggers" would be watching and waiting to judge their decisions.  Are you kidding me?  It is none of our business whether or not Kate breastfeeds, if they use cloth or disposable, whether she went Similac or Enfamil.  For anyone to judge her (or any other mom's) parenting choices says a lot about the person doing the judging.  For me, I am just glad Prince George (and I hope they don't really call him Georgie but that is their call) is healthy and hopefully, thriving.  And I can't wait to watch him grow up.  And guess what Kate and William - he is going to teeth too!

Loved when Prince George waved his little hands at the camera - definitely reached for a Kleenex then!

No comments:

Post a Comment